Creator: Yoji Enokido & Gainax
Computer Game Incarnations:
1. FLCL is written by Yoji Inokido, who also wrote Revolutionary Girl Utena and Ouran High School Host Club.
2. FLCL is often written phonetically in English as Fooly Cooly, as in Japanese each letter is a syllable. The pronunciation is 'Fu-Li-Ku-Li'.
3. UK distributor MVM admitted at the MCM London Expo in 2007 that they had been offered the opportunity to license FLCL and had turned it down. They later changed their mind and released the series in 2008.
4. FLCL was never shown on television in Japan, where it was a straight to video release. However, it was shown on television in America where it enjoyed some of the highest ratings on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
5. The guitar carried by Haruko in the series is a Rickenbacker 4001 Bass, whereas Naota has a Gibson Flying V.
6. The manga version of FLCL has been criticised for its scrappy art style and much darker interpretations of the original story.
7. In Japan the anime series was released on six full-priced DVDs, each containing a single 25 minute episode. All of the Japanese releases apart from volume 1 contained English subtitles.
8. The Vespa-riding Haruka Haruhara is left-handed, and her bass guitar is a left-handed model.
9. Leading anime director Hideaki Anno (Neon
Genesis Evangelion, Gunbuster) has an uncredited role
providing the 'voice' for the cat Miyu Miyu.
If you like this try:
Dead Leaves (Anime - Manga Entertainment)